Experience the history, culture and charm of India on a journey around the ‘Golden Triangle’ cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. With visits to the magnificent Taj Mahal and mighty Amber Fort, this holiday is the perfect introduction to an unforgettable country.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic
- 6 nights in 5-star hotels plus 1 night in flight
- 10meals: 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch &3 dinners
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Day 1 UK to Delhi
- Depart on your flight to Delhi, arriving on day 2.
- Day 2 New Delhi
- We'll arrive in Delhi today and transfer to our comfortable hotel. There will be time to settle in and freshen up before we set off for an afternoon of sightseeing in New Delhi. This spacious, imperial city was created by the British in 1911. Our drive takes us through elegant boulevards and lush green parks where the iconic India Gate and imposing Parliament House are both reminders of a colonial past. We'll also step back in time at the ancient Qutub Minar – a UNESCO-listed site.
- Day 3 Old Delhi
- After breakfast, join your Tour Manager on an included sightseeing tour of the 17th century walled city of Old Delhi. Temples and mosques fill every available space and tempting food stalls flood the narrow streets with colour and heady aromas. As we explore we'll pass by the spectacular Red Fort, the impressive marble domes of Jama Masjid Mosque and Raj Ghat, the memorial to Mahatma Gandhi.
This afternoon has been left free for you to explore at your own pace, in the company of your fellow travellers. If you wish, you could join our optional excursion which will introduce you to India's array of different religions. We'll visit Birla Mandir, the Hindu temple inaugurated by Mahatma Gandhi, and the Catholic Sacred Heart Cathedral before arriving at the Bangla Sahib Gurudwara. Hundreds of devotees are fed every day at this Sikh place of worship, and we'll have a chance to volunteer in the kitchens before our tour continues to Nizamuddin Dargah, the shrine to Sufi saint Nizamuddin Auliya.
- Day 4 Agra
- Today we'll travel south to Agra, where we'll stay overnight. After checking in to our hotel we'll visit the UNESCO-listed Agra Fort. Once the imperial city of the Mogul rulers, this mighty red-sandstone fortress is where the Emperor Shah Jahan was imprisoned by his son.
- Day 5 Jaipur
- We have an early start this morning for what is sure to be a memorable highlight of the holiday a dawn visit to the spectacular Taj Mahal. Built by Emperor Shah Jahan as a symbol of his love for his wife, nothing will prepare you for the breathtaking sight of this magnificent mausoleum, whose white marble walls are inlaid with semiprecious stones.
Close by is Mehtab Bagh, a centuries-old garden complex, which sits on the other side of the river. You'll get to see the Taj Mahal from here too, for equally wonderful views.
Later we'll travel to Jaipur, affectionately known as the 'Pink City' because all of the buildings are painted in a distinctive shade of pink. Enjoy an evening at leisure or perhaps join us for an optional cookery demonstration in a local family home, with dinner included.
- Day 6 Jaipur
- This morning we'll drive to the marvellous Amber Fort, a 17th century stronghold set on top of a hill. It's a wonderful blend of Hindu and Muslim elements and we'll step inside to explore the palace, courtyards and gardens. Back in Jaipur, we'll learn how to carefully drape a colourful saree and to put on a turban. Our expert guides will share the secrets of these traditional items of clothing with us to help give us even more insight into the Indian culture. You can pose for pictures with your hosts in your beautiful saree or majestic turban, and you'll be gifted the clothing you wear so you can take a piece of India back home as a souvenir. Then we'll head to the Jantar Mantar, an astronomical observatory built in the early 18th century, and then take a stroll through Chaandpol Bazaar, where pungent aromas emanate from the shops which grind and sell all manner of brightly coloured spices. This evening we'll visit the City Palace and see rare personal items of the Maharajas of Jaipur. During our visit we'll watch a state-of-the-art light show narrated by a Bollywood star, and enjoy dinner at a restaurant in the palace.
- Day 7 Delhi
- We have left this morning free for you to explore Jaipur at your own pace. Alternatively, you could join our optional walking tour, which is one of the best ways to appreciate the rich heritage of the walled city. As we wander around the houses and workshops, local people will be delighted to tell you more about life in the bustling capital of Rajasthan. Later we will drive to Delhi.
- Day 8 Delhi to UK
- After breakfast we'll transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.